Friday, April 29, 2016

Local Meets by James Tatum

This is a blog I wrote while I was at MDUSA and posted it on there website.  Now I am transferring it back over here to my own blog.  This was originally posted on 6-29-15.  If you are interested in my coaching feel free to email me at tatumtrained@gmail.com.  Also check out Tatum Trained on Trainheroic for more affordable programming! 

Local meets are great!  At some point in time every great weightlifter had his or her first meet at the local level.  Their are a few different goals you can have in regards to a local meet, but I am going to talk about how you can use a local meet to discover what kind of lifter you are or what your zone of optimal performance is.  First off most people get nervous when going out to compete, the goal is to find out what to do with that nervous energy to help you perform the best.  For example an athlete who gets nervous and it affects him/her in a way that decreases performance you will want to work on getting that nervous energy under control. That athlete should try some relaxing techniques, such as slow deep breathing, to help calm them down before they take each attempt on the competition stage as well as during there warm up.  A coach can also be valuable in this situation by being calm and not giving cues that tend to hype the lifter up.  On the other end of the spectrum you may have a lifter who performs well with a lot of stress and excitement.  In that case doing things that will get the lifter excited will help, such as taking a pre-workout or getting the crowd hyped up before they take there attempt.  A coach can help this situation by giving the hype up type of cues or slaps on the legs before going out on the platform. 

Most people will fall anywhere in-between these two types of lifter.  My favorite things about competing at local meets is how I can learn new things about myself by putting myself in different amounts of stress and then refining it to achieve the best possible outcome.  Below is a video of a PR lift I made last year at MuscleDriver USA's Open.  






No comments:

Post a Comment